With 3.5 million Americans using acupuncture each year, the 2,000-year-old Chinese healing practice is finally being taken seriously as an effective way to treat pain. The practice was first brought to the U.S. in 1971 by a journalist who reported on how his back pain was eliminated after receiving acupuncture in China. Then in 1996, the FDA gave acupuncture the credibility it needed when it categorized the needles as medical devices.
Acupuncture is a core component of traditional Chinese medicine. It uses needles that, when applied to various meridian points on the body, triggers the body’s own self-healing mechanisms. Acupuncture is offered in most major hospitals, and has been proven to treat a wide range of spiritual and emotional conditions.
What conditions does acupuncture treat?
• Chronic Pain: Acupuncture has been known to treat chronic pain, including back and neck pain, joint pain, headaches and shoulder pain
• Cancer: For those going through cancer treatment, acupuncture has been known to alleviate nausea and vomiting
• Fertility: Acupuncture has been known to improve the success rate of in vitro fertilization. One study claims that it can alleviate anxiety for those having fertility treatment, while promoting blood flow to the uterus
If you are interested in exploring acupuncture as a way to manage your chronic pain, make sure you take the following actions first:
• Talk to your doctor to make sure you aren’t taking any medications or have any infections or skin problems that could adversely affect the treatment
• If your doctor gives you a diagnosis, ask if acupuncture could help
• Check the acupuncturist’s credentials: your acupuncturist should be licensed!
• If your acupuncturist gives you a diagnosis, talk to a medical doctor about it first, before proceeding with treatment
Contact Elev8 MD Wellness Center
At Elev8MD Wellness Center, we offer a full suite of services designed to ease pain and promote whole body health, including acupuncture. In addition, we offer ketamine infusions, Reiki healing, yoga, massage, IV hydration therapy and psychotherapy. We are a full-service wellness center operated by a team of highly experienced physicians. If you are suffering from depression or pain, or just need to unwind and relax a little, contact us. We’ll refer you to the wellness services you need to accomplish your health and wellness goals.