Living with anxiety can be a real hindrance to your daily activities. Anxiety disorders are one of the most common mental illnesses in the U.S, affecting at least 40 million adults each year. Even though anxiety is treatable, most people do not seek treatment.
If you are someone who feels anxious frequently, know that you are not alone and that there are ways to easily manage anxiety on a daily basis.
Here are some simple tips to help successfully navigate episodes of anxiety:
1. Write down your worries. Get a journal and set a specific time each day to write down your worries. For some people, it even helps to set aside a specific time to worry in and of itself. Challenge your beliefs to determine if the anxiety is supported by actual facts, or if it’s just a projected worry with no evidence to support it.
2. Breathing. Belly breathing has been known to be one of the most effective ways to relax your entire body. To do this, lie down on the floor, put one hand on your belly, and then take deep long breaths…and remember to exhale.
3. Exercise. Endorphins are one of the best natural ways to boost your mood, and it can be done anytime—that “feel good” feeling occurs immediately post-workout. Join a group exercise class to motivate you to go, if necessary.
4. Eat whole, nutrient-dense foods. Avoid processed foods and sugar, as they can increase inflammation and affect mood and energy levels. You would be surprised how eating a home cooked meal vs. eating out will affect your mood.
5. Getting peer support. Having great friends who can support you when you feel down in the dumps can be a great way to feel better quickly. Sometimes a dinner with the people you love can ease your anxiety, even just for a few hours.
6. See a therapist. Getting professional help is probably one of the most effective ways to treat anxiety disorders; a good therapist can treat the underlying cause of your anxieties. Over time your therapist can help you change your thoughts which leads to changing your feelings.
7. Avoid caffeine. Stimulants like caffeine can increase heart palpitations and trigger anxiety attacks.
8. Seek alternative therapies. Studies have shown alternative therapies like acupuncture, meditation, reiki, Chinese medicine, and others have been known to alleviate the symptoms of anxiety and depression. Do some research on qualified instructors before you begin any treatment.
Contact Elev8 MD Wellness Center
At Elev8 MD Wellness Center, we offer a full suite of services aimed at treating anxiety and depression, including acupuncture, reiki, IV hydration therapy and more. We offer psychotherapy and ketamine infusions for depression and anxiety, as well. Ask us today about how we can support your journey towards health and happiness.